Citizens College next 2017 session, TBA.
The Citizen Outreach Group (COG) and Council of Neighbors and Organizations (CONO) are excited to sponsor the free El Paso County Citizens College.
The County will present an intense one-day Citizen College designed to provide conversations with elected officials and county leadership.
Citizens College is a tremendous learning opportunity for civic-minded individuals ages 16 and older. During the full-day sessions, citizen students will be familiarized with many aspects of El Paso County government - including its statutory duties, programs and services to citizens living in Colorado's largest County. Our County's elected officials, administrators and agency partners will serve as instructors navigating participants through the inner workings of our multi-faceted and citizen-focused government.
Tentative topics and activities for the 2017 Citizens College include:
Citizens College is designed to help participants ...
1. Learn and dialogue about key issues facing their County.
2. Meet and network with County leaders, administration and fellow students.
3. Actively participate in County Government
4. Grow in their capacity to serve as future public leaders, community volunteers or engaged citizens.
- County Government 101
- County Budget Overview
- Property Assessments
- Tax Collection and Revenue Allocations
- Q&A with County Commissioners
- Parks & Environmental Services
- Planning & Land Use
- Fleet & Transportation
- Human Services and Support Programs
- Elections, Motor Vehicles and Records
- Sheriff's Office Overview
- District Attorney's Office Overview
Citizens College Homework
Unlike previous Citizens Colleges, attendees will have to do some homework prior to attending. In order to provide more time for discussions and Q&A with County elected officials and County leadership at Citizens College, attendees must watch several videos to learn about County offices and departments. This will provide foundational knowledge and give attendees time to think about questions and topics to discuss with the presenters.
VIDEO HOMEWORK PAGE
For more information on CONO, check out its web site...www.cscono.org