Citizens College is now accepting applications for the June 2016 session.
The Citizen Outreach Group (COG) and Council of Neighbors and Organizations (CONO) are excited to sponsor the free El Paso County Citizens College this summer.
The County will present on two Saturday's (TBD) in February, 2017.
Citizens College is a tremendous learning opportunity for civic-minded individuals ages 16 and older. During the two full-day sessions, citizen students will be familiarized with many aspects of El Paso County government - including its statutory duties, programs and services to citizens living in Colorado's largest County. Our County's elected officials, administrators and agency partners will serve as instructors navigating participants through the inner workings of our multi-faceted and citizen-focused government.
Tentative topics and activities for the 2016 Citizens College include:
Citizens College is designed to help participants ...
1. Learn and dialogue about key issues facing their County.
2. Meet and network with County leaders, administration and fellow students.
3. Actively participate in County Government
4. Grow in their capacity to serve as future public leaders, community volunteers or engaged citizens.
- County Government 101
- Veterans Services
- Property Assessments
- Tax Collection and Revenue Allocations
- Q&A with County Commissioners
- Parks & Environmental Services
- Planning & Land Use
- Fleet & Transportation
- Coroner Duties and Responsibilities
- Public Health Overview
- Human Services and Support Programs
- County Budget Overview
- Elections, Motor Vehicles and Records
- Deeds of Trust and Property Foreclosures
- Emergency Management and Response
- District Attorney's Office Overview
For more information on CONO, check out its web site...www.cscono.org