The Pikes Peak Regional Building Department is asking area residents to protect themselves and their families from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as they work to recover and rebuild from recent hail storms.
Buildings throughout the Pikes Peak region have been pummeled by severe weather in recent weeks. Inspectors with Regional Building are noticing some potentially dangerous mistakes as they inspect recently repaired roofs.
Damaged mechanical vents, connected to gas-burning appliances, may fail to vent properly leaving deadly carbon monoxide trapped inside. It is critical that mechanical vents damaged in the storms be inspected and repaired by a licensed mechanical contractor immediately. Homeowners should take precautions to assure that temporary protection, such as tarps on damaged roofs do not block vents.
Things to watch for:
- The vent itself is broken or damaged
- The cap on the vent is crushed down, preventing air flow
- The vent itself has become disconnected inside from the gas fired appliance
If anyone in your home or business is experiencing flu like symptoms since the hail storms, it may be a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Anyone with these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention. El Paso County Public Health shares information on the symptoms and dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.