March 26, 2021 – El Paso County Assessor Steve Schleiker will host a series of virtual community town halls during the month of April to help the public better understand how property values are assessed locally, and why 2021 is such an important year for property owners in El Paso County.
“With the record number of sales, and our county continually at the top of the nation for real estate activity, along with the COVID-19 Pandemic, this reappraisal is going to be the most challenging we have seen in many years,” said El Paso County Assessor Steve Schleiker. “We want to make sure that our customers have complete understanding of the process. These meetings are designed to help the public feel more comfortable with their reappraisal experience. We have placed their concerns as our top priority.”
The Assessor’s Office will host the five upcoming virtual town halls, beginning April 6, with the final meeting scheduled for April 22. Assessor Schleiker will discuss the current El Paso County Real Property Market and the impacts residents will see during the upcoming 2021 property reappraisal. He will answer frequently asked questions such as:
- Why do we have property assessments?
- How and when is property assessed?
- How are property taxes calculated?
- Why did property value go up when no new improvements were made to a property?
- Why the value change?
- Will property taxes go up?
- How can someone appeal their property value?
Here are the dates, times, and links to the virtual meetings:
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Commissioner District 1 (Northern El Paso County, including Town of Monument, unincorporated areas of Northern El Paso County, including Woodmoor and Black Forest)
Link to April 6 Town Hall: http://bit.ly/AssessorTownHallApril6
- Thursday, April 8, 2021: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Commissioner District 2 (East Colorado Springs, Cimarron Hills, Falcon, Peyton, Calhan, Ramah)
Link to April 8 Town Hall: http://bit.ly/AssessorTownHallApril8
- Tuesday, April 13, 2021: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Commissioner District 3 (Central and Western El Paso County, including Town of Green Mountain Falls, City of Manitou Springs, Towns of Palmer Lake and Monument, westside and downtown areas of Colorado Springs, Ute Pass and areas south of Cheyenne Mountain State Park)
Link to April 13Town Hall: http://bit.ly/AssessorTownHallApril13
- Tuesday, April 20, 2021: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Commissioner District 4 (Southern and Eastern El Paso County, including the Towns of Fountain, Security/Widefield, Hanover, Ellicott, Rush, Yoder and the south-southeast areas of Colorado Springs as well as the unincorporated area of Stratmoor Hills)
Link to April 20 Town Hall: http://bit.ly/AssessorTownHallApril20
- Thursday, April 22, 2021: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Commissioner District 5 (Central El Paso County, including most of the City of Colorado Springs)
Link to April 22 Town Hall: http://bit.ly/AssessorTownHallApril22
On the day of each Town Hall, residents can use the included links to join the meeting via Microsoft Teams. Participants may download Microsoft Teams or join the meeting via their web browser. We ask that those planning to attend familiarize themselves with the platform ahead of the meeting.
For media inquiries, please contact County Assessor Steve Schleiker 719-520-6527 or email SteveSchleiker@elpasoco.com