January 22, 2019 – All El Paso County Offices are on a two-hour delay this morning as severe, blizzard-like conditions have hit parts of the County.
The delay includes the Tuesday, Jan. 22 Board of County Commissioners meeting. Today’s regular Commissioners meeting will begin at 11 a.m. instead of the regularly scheduled time of 9 a.m.
All BoCC meetings are held in the Commissioners Hearing Room of Centennial Hall in downtown Colorado Springs, 200 S. Cascade Ave.
Here are some safety and preparation tips during winter weather:
SAFETY FIRST WHEN TRAVELING DURING WINTER WEATHER …
- Know your abilities and drive for the conditions (slowing down will help ensure that you get to your family or destination safely).
- Snowplows and emergency vehicles are working to keep you safe. Give them plenty of space both in front and behind to avoid accidents and/or damage,
- If you must go out, be prepared. And if there is any question about safety, the safest place to be is at home.
- You may be THE safest and most competent driver, but you cannot drive for the other vehicles on the road. Remain defensive and pay attention what others are doing.
- The diverse terrain in our county can mean the conditions at your home may be very different from those at your destination or on the way to your destination.
- BE PATIENT AND COURTEOUS TO YOUR FELLOW DRIVERS, SO EVERYONE REMAINS SAFE
BE PREPARED WHEN WINTER WEATHER IS ON THE WAY …
- Make a plan with your family and neighbors NOW
- Include a communications plan and hard copies of phone numbers
- Discuss expectations if you’re at home, at school, at work, etc.
- Have winter emergency supplies in your vehicle
- Have two weeks worth of winter emergency supplies in your house
- Remember to refill prescriptions early so you have a supply on hand
- Remember to have enough provisions for pets as well as people
- Are you ready for a long-term power outage?
- Remain aware of conditions: Subscribe to emergency weather alerts and get a weather radio
- Essential travel only, and inform someone of your route and ETA if you venture out