The 2nd annual Calhan Country Christmas lights up the El Paso County Fair & Events Center on Saturday, Dec. 14. Come enjoy the magic of the season.
Gates open at 5 p.m. There is no admission charge, but guests are encouraged to bring one non-perishable food donation per person to support the Eastern Plains Community Pantry.
Santa and live reindeer will be there, a live Nativity, carolers, vendors, concessions, live music from Solid Ground and of course the amazing Calhan Christmas Parade of Lights. There is also a Holiday Light Display Competition. (See Complete rules below).
Calhan Country Christmas is a community event and hosted by the El Paso County Fair & Events, Calhan Christmas Parade of Lights and the Town of Calhan with events and entertainment for the entire family, including:
- 5p.m. Gates Open
- 5p.m. Reindeer visits courtesy of Anderson Precast and NAPA of Calhan
- 5-7:30p.m. Photo opportunity with Santa
- 5p.m. Vendors open
- 5p.m. Apache Creek Fiddlers
- 5p.m. Live Nativity
- 5p.m. Colorado Springs Astronomical Society telescopes (weather permitting)
- 6p.m. Strolling Carolers
- 7p.m. Parade of Lights (begins and ends at the Fairgrounds)
- 8p.m. Photo opportunity with Santa
- 8p.m. Live music featuring Solid Ground
- 8p.m. Bull Riding (Separate ticket purchase is required, and seating is limited)
A Bull Riding event will also take place in the Indoor Owens Livestock Arena at 8:00 p.m.
Separate ticket purchase is required, and seating is limited. Advance purchase is recommended. Concessions available. Adults $12, ages 6-12 $7
What: Calhan Country Christmas
Where: El Paso County Fair & Events Center 366 10th Street Calhan, CO 80808
When: Saturday, December 14th, 2019
Time: 5 p.m.-9 p.m.
Admission: Free – 1 non-perishable food item per person encouraged to support the Eastern Plains Community Pantry.
Holiday Light Display Competition
Sponsored by Mountain View Electric Association
2019 Calhan Country Christmas Holiday Light Display Competition
We’re turning the El Paso County Fair & Events Center into a magical wonderland. Bringing the joy of the holiday season to life with fabulous light displays that bring people from near and far!
Rules & Information
- Participation is open to all.
- Entry is free.
- Contest is for exterior decorations only. No live animals may be used. No fires.
- Displays may be constructed from materials such as wire, wood, metal, plastic, cardboard, etc.
- Electricity is provided by the El Paso County Fair & Events Center- 20amp maximum.
- 20’x50’ Space provided by El Paso County Fair & Events Center upon reservation.
- Entrants must provide their own equipment, tools, and UL approved extension cords.
- Displays will be assigned an entry number.
- Participants agree to have one or more photos and or videos of their display posted on the El Paso
County Fair & Events Center website and Facebook page and that there will be no compensation of
any kind for said posting or publication.
- The El Paso County Fair & Events Center staff will not assist with construction or installation.
- Entries must be completed and ready for judging by Friday, December 14th by 4:00p.m.
- Participants should ensure that all lights, animations and decorations are in place and activated
prior to the judging period and remain on until 10:30p.m.
- Judging will take place at the El Paso County Fair & Events Center at 5:30p.m. on December 14th
- Entries will be judged on attractiveness, creativity, holiday spirit, and overall showmanship.
- The decisions of the judging committee are final. Judges are not able to participate.
- First, Second and Third Places will be awarded in each division.
• Best Business Display
- Best Youth Group Display
- Best Family Display
- Best Open Display (Open to all individuals/groups)
- The top three overall division champion displays will be judged for an Overall Best Display and
will be awarded prizes for 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place.
- Winners will be announced at 8:00p.m. in the Whittemore Building and need not be present.
- Displays may be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center beginning Monday,
December 17- Thursday, thru December 20, 2018 8:00a.m.-4:00p.m.
- All displays must be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center no later than
December 28, 2018.
- Be creative, be festive and have fun!