February 16, 2021 – Colorado State University Extension El Paso County announces their calendar of events for February. The classes and programs are listed below by date. ONLINE REGISTRATION is required at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/colorado-state-university-extension-el-paso-county-3307878188
All programs require pre-registration and online.
Cottage Foods Food Safety Certification
Start your own home business in your home kitchen with the Cottage Foods Food Safety Certification.
Now offering online training to acquire a 3-year certification. Training provides information in:
- Foods permissible in the Colorado Cottage Foods Act
- Ingredient labeling requirements
- Basic Food Safety
- Temperature control for food preparation
- Storage, transport and sales
- Special considerations for food preparation at high altitude
Date: February 18, 2021 (Thursday, Noon-3:30pm) – Online
Cost: $40.00 – 3-year certification
Gardening Lunch and Learn Classes
Each webinar will take place at noon on Wednesdays, and will cost $10.
Don’t worry if you can’t make the live class – we will be recording each session, and will send a link after the class, so you can watch it at your leisure (or watch it again if you watched live).
February 17 – Starting Seeds Indoors
Many vegetables require starting indoors in order to set fruit in Colorado’s short growing season. Learn about soils, light, watering, timing, and other tips for success.
February 24 – Gardening with Raised Beds
Raised bed gardens can help you garden more successfully. Learn about different ways to build them, soil requirements, watering, and more.
Food and Nutrition Basics
Colorado State University Extension has created a workshop focusing on Food and Nutrition Basics. Participants attending this online workshop will learn what the essential nutrients are and their basic functions, the most current Dietary Guidelines for Americans and healthy eating patterns. As well as discovering strategies on how to follow a healthy eating pattern.
Date: February 23, 2021 (Tuesday, Noon-1:00pm) – Online
Food Safety Works Certification
The Food Safety Works safe food handler certificate training teaches entry-level food workers how to safely handle, prepare and store food. This certification is taught online and is self-guided. Participants with a passing score receive a safe food handler certificate valid for two (2) years.
Benefits for Food Service Workers:
- Increase in confidence and motivation to handle food safely.
- Improve knowledge and awareness of ways to prevent foodborne illness.
- Valued by employers.
- Great incentives towards job promotions.
- Benefits for your business.
- Take pride in being proactive in preventing foodborne illness.
- Increase consumer confidence – show that you value safety.
- Increase employee pride and teamwork in serving food.
- Increase likelihood of improved inspections.
Once registered, participants will receive a confirmation email from Eventbrite which will have the website address and password to access the Food Safety Works Certification materials. You can download presentation slides, watch training video, and access link to exam. Once exam is completed and scored you will receive an email with your certificate valid for 2 years.
Registration is on-going and class can be started and completed anytime for FREE.
- Dining with Diabetes
- Vegetable Garden Basics, Pruning, Soils, Spring Lawn Care, Herbs
- Farm Tax Class
- Mediterranean Diet
- Food Preservation: Introduction to Water Bath Canning, Pickling, Jam Making
For more information contact visit our website: https://elpaso.extension.colostate.edu/