Knollwood Drive reduced to one lane each direction starts tomorrow, Wednesday, Aug. 9
Highway 105 traffic near Knollwood shifts to the south side of the road Thursday, Aug. 10
El Paso County, Colorado, August 08, 2023 – The El Paso County Highway 105A Construction kicked off last week. In the coming weeks and months, motorists will experience substantial construction activity in the area.
Starting TOMORROW, Wednesday, Aug. 9 through approximately late August/early September: Knollwood Drive will be reduced to one through lane in each direction (southbound and northbound) between Hwy 105 and Village Ridge Point for utility work and while a temporary access from Hwy 105 to Village Ridge Point is being constructed east of Integrity Bank
- Southbound left turns onto eastbound Village Ridge Point will NOT be allowed.
- Westbound left out of Village Ridge Point onto southbound Knollwood will also NOT be allowed.
Traffic wanting access to Monument Academy and the businesses along Village Ridge Point will be required to access from northbound Knollwood with right-in only to Village Ridge Point.
- Right-out from Village Ridge Point to northbound Knollwood WILL be allowed.
- Motorists will need to use Lake Woodmoor Drive or Woodmoor Drive to Hwy 105 to get to northbound Knollwood.
Thursday, Aug. 10: Hwy105 traffic near Knollwood will be shifted to the south side of the road to allow crews to work on the northside lanes.
Week of Aug. 14 nightwork: Waterline casings will be installed across Hwy 105 requiring work to take place overnight. Hwy 105 will remain open, but some lane restrictions will be required for this work. The traffic configuration will return to the daytime traffic pattern by 7 a.m. daily.
Other work: While not always visible throughout the day, construction crews have been out working on the project with trucks entering and exiting the highway. Here’s what the crews have been out doing this week:
- surveying and installing erosion control along the project boundaries
- stripping out the water quality pond site
- working on the temporary access road to Village Ridge Point
- removing the fencing from Knollwood Blvd. to near the I-25 northbound off-ramps
- removing trees necessary to allow for the improvements to Hwy 105
Roundabout completion is anticipated by the end of 2023/early 2024. At that time, Knollwood onto Village Ridge Point will reopen with access to the Monument Academy elementary school and the adjacent businesses. The new roundabout coupled with new queuing lanes being constructed by Monument Academy are designed to keep traffic moving and reduce the traffic backups on Highway 105 that have previously occurred in this area.
Work on the north side lanes of Hwy 105 will take place for approximately one year. Then traffic will be shifted to the completed north side lanes to enable work to take place on the south side. The Highway 105A Construction Project is expected to continue into 2025.
For the safety of the traveling public and construction crews:
- Please slow down and pay attention to signs and traffic control.
- Watch for workers and vehicles in the construction zone.
- Adhere to posted speed limit signs.
- Be considerate to drivers wanting to merge in.
- Your patience is greatly appreciated!
Once completed, the Highway 105A Construction Project will extend the 4-lane section of Highway 105 just east of Jackson Creek Parkway to Lake Woodmoor Drive, providing for greater mobility by accommodating more traffic. The new configuration for the Highway 105A project will be two lanes in each direction with left and right turn lanes. The project also includes multi-use shoulders and pedestrian improvements, sidewalk connectivity, replacement of the traffic signal at Knollwood Drive, a new underground drainage system, and water quality pond, and a new roundabout at the Knollwood Village Ridge Point intersection.
The $14.6M construction cost is funded through a combination of Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) as well as Federal and County funds.
In addition to the Hwy 105A project, there are several other roadway and utility construction projects ongoing within this area. The various project teams are coordinating schedules as best they can. For these reasons, ALTERNATE ROUTES ARE HIGHLY ADVISED.
For more information about this project, visit the Highway 105A Construction Project website: http://epc-hwy105aconstruction.com/ Or, call the recorded Message Phone: 719-423-8100
Sign up for project updates by sending an email to: Hwy105Aconstruction@gmail.com