Calling all Holiday Light Engineers! The El Paso County Fair & Events Center is hosting a Holiday Light Display Competition.
Sponsored by Mountain View Electric Association, the contest has four divisions that will vie for trophies and a cash prize.
The Christmas Light Competition event is being held in conjunction with the Calhan Christmas Parade of Lights, Town of Calhan and the El Paso County Fair & Event Center inaugural Calhan Country Christmas from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., on Saturday, December 15th, with events and entertainment for the entire family, including:
- 6 p.m. Gates Open
- 6 p.m. Hay Rides
- 6 p.m. Live Nativity
- 6 p.m. Colorado Springs Astronomical Society telescopes (weather permitting)
- 8 p.m. Live music featuring the band Fire Line
- 6 p.m. Strolling Carolers
- 7 p.m. Parade of Lights (begins and ends at the Fairgrounds)
- 8 p.m. Photo opportunity with Santa
- 8 p.m. Refreshments
Four Divisions for prizes are: Best Business Display, Best Youth Group Display, Best Family Display and Best Individual Display. See Complete rules below.
A bull riding event will also take place in the Indoor Owens Livestock Arena at the Fairgrounds at 8:00 p.m.
Separate ticket purchase is required and seating is limited. Advance purchase is recommended.
Adults $10 6-12 $5 At the door are $2 more.
What: Calhan Country Christmas
Where: El Paso County Fair & Events Center 366 10th Street Calhan, CO 80808
When: Saturday, December 15th, 2018
Time: 6 p.m.-10 p.m.
For more information on the Holiday Light Display Competition and the bull riding, please contact the El Paso County Fair and Events Center at (719) 520-7882.
Rules & Information Holiday Light Display Competition
2018 Calhan Country Christmas Holiday Light Display Competition
We’re turning the El Paso County Fair & Events Center into a magical wonderland. Bringing the joy of the holiday season to life with fabulous light displays that bring people from near and far!
- Participation is open to all.
- Entry is free.
- Contest is for exterior decorations only. No live animals may be used. No fires.
- Displays may be constructed from materials such as wire, wood, metal, plastic, cardboard, etc.
- Electricity is provided by the El Paso County Fair & Events Center- 20 amp maximum.
- 20’x50’ Space provided by El Paso County Fair & Events Center upon reservation.
- Entrants must provide their own equipment, tools, and UL approved extension cords.
- Displays will be assigned an entry number.
- Participants agree to have one or more photos and or videos of their display posted on the El Paso
County Fair & Events Center website and Facebook page and that there will be no compensation of
any kind for said posting or publication.
- The El Paso County Fair & Events Center staff will not assist with construction or installation.
- Entries must be completed and ready for judging by Friday, December 14th by 4:00 p.m.
- Participants should ensure that all lights, animations and decorations are in place and activated
prior to the judging period and remain on until 10:30 p.m.
- Judging will take place at the El Paso County Fair & Events Center at 5:00 p.m.
- Entries will be judged on attractiveness, creativity, holiday spirit, and overall showmanship.
- The decisions of the judging committee are final. Judges are not able to participate.
- First, Second and Third Places will be awarded in each division.
- Best Business Display
- Best Youth Group Display
- Best Family Display
- Best Open Display ( Open to all individuals/groups)
- The top three champion displays will be awarded a cash prize sponsored by Mountain View
Electric Association. $100 for 1st place, $50 for 2nd place and $25 for 3rd place.
- Winners will be announced at 8:30p.m. in the Whittemore Building and need not be present.
- Displays may be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center beginning Monday,
December 17- Thursday, thru December 20, 2018 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- All displays must be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center no later than
December 28, 2018.
- Be creative, be festive and have fun!