July 24, 2020 – El Paso County will be opening the new roundabout at the Old Meridian Road and McLaughlin Road intersection on Monday, July 27. Opening the roundabout at Old Meridian Road north of US Highway 24 will immediately improve access in the community of Falcon.
After the roundabout is open Monday, El Paso County Department of Public Works’ contractor, Kiewit Infrastructure Company, will close the Chicago Avenue access at McLaughlin Road for several days for concrete work, and plans to pave Old Meridian Road and McLaughlin Road during this same period.
Detour Map Below:
- An increase in construction equipment and trucks delivering materials.
- Anticipate a flagger control and traffic shifts during these operations.
- Business access will be provided at the direction of on-site flagger control.
During the month of August
- Rolling Thunder Way will remain closed between the roundabout and Meridian Road
- Frequent traffic pattern changes are expected within the work area.
- Expect a brief full closure of the Rolling Thunder Way and Meridian Road intersection in mid-August for full reconstruction.
- Drivers should continue to use the signed detour routes on Meridian Road and Woodmen Road to bypass this section of Rolling Thunder Way.
Project completion is anticipated in fall 2020. Construction schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
This safety improvement project is expected to reduce traffic collisions and improve traffic flow at the existing three-leg intersection. The roundabout design will handle existing and projected traffic volumes, including truck traffic.
El Paso County wishes to thank drivers in advance for their cooperation. Funding for this project is provided by the Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA).
For more information and questions:
County website: https://www.elpasoco.com
Project website: Select McLaughlin/Old Meridian Roundabout