March 3, 2022 – Registration is now open for the Spring 2022 Citizens College scheduled for May 4 – June 15, 2022. The sessions are scheduled on either a weekday evening or Saturday. The program offers the option of registering for all sessions or individual sessions.
This Citizens College is presented by the El Paso County Citizen Outreach Group (COG), a citizen-based volunteer committee appointed by County Commissioners to help citizens understand and engage in El Paso County Government.
The program provides participants the opportunity to learn about the multi-faceted statutory functions and customary services provided by El Paso County. Elected Officials and Department staff leaders will present information on their offices and departments, the services they provide, and how those services are funded.
The goals of the Citizen College are to:
- Build familiarity for citizens with County departments & elected officials
- Reduce the unnecessary negative mystique associated with local government
- Create access for citizens to better understand County operations and facilities
- Create greater awareness for our award-winning Count
The Citizen College sessions include:
- Introduction Session | Wednesday, May 4, 2022 | 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM | Commissioner’s Welcome Address, County-City Differences, Budget and Master Plan Overview
- Criminal Justice Session | Saturday, May 14, 2022 | 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM | Inter-workings of the Sheriff and Coroner’s Office, tour of Criminal Justice Center and Coroner’s Office
- Roads, Recreation & Emergencies Session | Wednesday, May 25, 2022 | 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM | Overview of Parks and Community Service, Public Works and Pikes Peak Regional Office of Emergency Management
- Citizens Service Center Session | Saturday, June 11, 2022 | 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM | Public Health, DHS, Assessor, and Treasurer Offices | Interactive Office Tour | Clerk & Recorder/Elections – tour ballot counting center
- Justice for All Session & Graduation | Wednesday, June 15, 2022 | 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM | District Attorney, Restorative Justice programs, Jury Process, a Judge’s perspective, tour of the Courthouse
Citizens interested in participating in the Spring 2022 Citizens College can register by visiting www.elpasoco.com/citizens-college.